It’s backward in the agenda year, and everywhere you go, humans are finalizing their affairs for the winter. There is a appealing acceptable adventitious you may just acquisition yourself in Taos County abreast the Sangre de Cristo Mountains about to adore the admiration that is Red River, New Mexico. While winter in the Rockies may not address to everyone, it may be the action that you and your ancestors accept been in abscessed address for, but the catechism is absolutely comatose on what absolutely the winter months accompany to Red River besides snow.
Look no added than these seven must-see experiences. Sure, some of them could be begin in your accepted Small Town, USA, but can they bear Wheeler Peak and Carson National Forest? We didn’t anticipate so!
1. Christmas Eve Fireworks & Torchlight Parade 12/24 – These parades go aback far abundant that it is difficult to pin down a starting date. There is belief that says that originally, aqueduct insulation was captivated about an old ski pole. It was again abolished in fuel, the ablaze appearing from the bonfire served as a ablaze source. Nowadays, the ablaze comes from flares & a above fireworks show. Regardless of the abstruseness of its start, the anniversary anniversary abide a above allotment of Red River’s charm.
2. Christmas Luminaria Tour 12/25 – It’s an breadth Christmas attitude to abode luminarias (paper accoutrements with beach and a afire candle inside) about homes and forth the streets of the town. There is even a adventitious to ski by this bendable light, authoritative for a attractive anniversary spectacle!
3. New Year’s Eve 12/31 – Here’s to New Year’s Eve (NYE) celebrations for anybody alpha with the anniversary Torchlight Parade and Fireworks Display. Kids can adore pizza and amateur at the Red River Community House for a NYE party. The brawl drops at midnight Eastern time (10 p.m. in New Mexico) for them, absolution the little ones still get a adventitious to ring in the new year!
4. Red River Skijoring – Skijoring agency “ski driving” and is usually as getting pulled on skis by an beastly (i.e., horse) automatic vehicle. Skijoring has a centuries-old history in Europe, but its alpha in Red River came if WWII veterans angry ropes to horses to tow skiers (no ski lifts yet). Thus, a aggressive action was born. Visitors accept the adventitious to accompany the fun as a adversary or spectator.
5. Winter Carnival – The Winter Carnival was thankfully brought aback to the area’s anniversary in adjustment to animate all of the winter fun alike with accomplished carnivals. You will be greeted with snowmobile races, snowman building, amateur and contest that address to the accomplished family, reside music, shopping, torchlight parades, fireworks, and so abundant more. One featured accident is the Winter Carnival Snowmobile Hill Climb.
6. Mardi Gras in the Mountains – Why accord with the anarchy and awkward aberration you appear to apprehend for Mardi Gras abroad if you could adore yourself in a added bizarre celebration? Rest assured, though, that Red River brand to accept a acceptable time. Complete with apparel balls, acceptable down-home gourmet food, apparel contests, Cajun cook-off, and even a decline gator race, Red River is the abode to be!
7. Just Desserts Eat & Ski – This is absolutely possibly one of the a lot of accepted contest of the winter in the Red River area. The abstraction is adequately straightforward: bootleg desserts are put out on a 5 kilometer advance and skiers ski out to the altered sites and allow in adorable treats. Accepted advance offerings cover an eighteen band Chocolate Cinnamon Torte, as able-bodied as Triple Chocolate Kahlua Espresso Cake.
Red River, New Mexico is absolutely the jewel of the American Southwest for not alone its admirable landscapes and comfortable ambience in the Rockies (over 8,500 ft elevation), but the boondocks aswell offers some of the best “bang-for-your-buck” means to absorb your winter accepting a blast.